PhD in Sport Science & Provincial Strength and Conditioning Coach
Canadian Sport Institute Pacific
3-year Term – Part-Time
Who We Are
The Canadian Sport Institute (CSI) is a World-Class Olympic and Paralympic Training Environment. We provide world-leading Olympic and Paralympic daily training environments to elite athletes and coaches in British Columbia. With the support of our partners, our team of experts deliver sport science and medicine, coaching and life services to Power Podium Performances. At CSI we live and breathe excellence, leadership, innovation, integrity, and partnership with all our team members, clients, and stakeholders. We are passionate about supporting and encouraging all to achieve their full potential.
We welcome applications from all backgrounds and cultures to join our diverse team. We hire employees of all cultures including Indigenous and non-Indigenous. We welcome all self-identifying Indigenous employees including status, non-status, Metis, and Inuit pursuant to Section 42 of the BC Human Rights Code. We honour and understand Indigenous cultures and values and do our best to support our employees.
The Canadian Sport Institute Pacific (CSI Pacific) in conjunction with the University of Victoria (UVic) is seeking highly motivated and enthusiastic student Strength & Conditioning (S&C) Coach who will fully engage in the dynamic and vibrant environment offered by both partners. This funded PhD studentship in Sport Science will be based out of the University of Victoria. The purpose is developing a research program aligned with the CSI Pacific Innovation and Research mandates, which have the potential to directly impact Olympic and Paralympic sport in Canada. As part of the PhD funding package, the successful candidate will also provide S&C services to the University of Victoria Varsity programs as well as to a select number of Provincial Sport Organization (PSO) athletes.
Based in Victoria, BC, this 3 yr. full-time PhD position will be required enrollment in all three academic terms during each year and may include some travel within the province of BC.
This position may provide support to multiple facility locations within the Greater Victoria area, travel between sites is the responsibility of the employee.
- Pass the candidacy examination
- Commitment to write and successfully defend a PhD dissertation/thesis in sport science that aligns with CSI Pacific Innovation and Research mandates
- Willingness to seek out and apply for research grants when and if applicable
- Fulfill the course requirements
- Minimum of six units (four courses) of course work at the 500 level or higher
- All courses are valued at 1.5 units.
- Fulfill the breadth requirements
- All PhD programs include the Research skills course which is to be complete over and above the course work required
- Be enrolled and located in Victoria for all 3 academic terms during PhD. completion
- Participate in annual progress reports
- Maintain awareness of the latest developments in Sport Science techniques, research and technology through conferences, seminars and self-directed reading;
- Increase the profile of Sport Science via a minimum of one presentation, poster or published practical articles per year;
- Communicate and advise coaches and athletes of the latest technological developments;
- Work with Head S&C coach to design evidenced based S&C programs establishing short- and long-term goals;
- Supervise sport-specific exercises, exercise sequences, sets, repetitions and recovery periods, and coach athletes on correct exercise techniques, safety measures and other methods to maximize the value of training sessions;
- Continually assess athletes and ability to effectively follow programs;
- Consult and collaborate with sport medicine professionals to recondition athletes after an injury;
- Help design and support flexibility, warm-up and physical conditioning exercises in training and prior to competition;
- Engage with CSI Pacific S&C Lead / Victoria S&C Ops coordinator for sport training group (coverage) and/or project opportunities as deemed appropriate;
- Test Protocol Implementation & Development;
- Organise & execute timely sport specific testing & evaluations when required by your sport;
- Evaluate & interpret results to prioritise S&C components necessary to achieve optimal performance;
- Actively engage in S&C program growth, update framework document where needed, always ask questions, stay hungry and consistently reflect;
- Lead collection, storage and analysis of S&C monitoring and evaluation data for your sport
- Track data to review with coaches and athletes;
- Help Head S&C lead Undergraduate S&C Pathway;
- Provide guidance and direction for Junior S&C coaches within S&C timeslots; and
- Actively participate in CSI Pacific team events, meetings, and professional development opportunities as well as regular liaison with colleagues in other sport institutes, universities, and jurisdictions.
The ideal candidate would have:
- A (or near completion of) Master’s degree in Sport Science or related field;
- 2+ years experience as an S&C Coach;
- Successful completion of a Criminal Records Check and verification of relevant education/certifications;
- Background as a coach and/or athlete is an asset;
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Applications and experience working with databases;
- Good team building skills and the ability to be flexible and adjust to changing priorities;
- The ability to participate in team travel as required;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a high degree of independence and initiative; and
- English-French bilingualism is an asset.
If you have any questions regarding this position or applying for the position, please reach out and email us at: email@example.com. We want to support all applicants during this process.
If this sounds like the perfect opportunity for you, please submit your Resume and Cover.
Closing Date: October 2nd, 2022
Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Interviews will take place by mid to late October
Expected start date is January 1st, 2023
We are looking forward to connecting with you!
For statistical purposes please indicate where you saw this job posting i.e. job site, email etc.